Friday 18 April 2008

Iceberg

Three years ago I decided to make an egg out of ice. This piece was made for the Fete Du Nòuef in St Antonin Noble Val in the south west of France. The idea was simple. I would use two molds to make a solid ice egg that would then melt in normal atmospheric conditions. With the help of Andre Laban, the great diving pioneer (and engineer) we managed to construct the egg in his deep freeze. The egg measured 52 x 38 x 38. The egg was then placed in a perspex box and left to melt. The egg took approximately 82 hours to melt. My plan is to place many of these eggs around the world, linked by web-cams to see them melt in different conditions. You see I love ice, and I would rather that the the ice that we have on this planet does not melt.

2 comments:

popps said...

i'm sure i heard about someoneone who was towing or going to tow an iceberg up the thames, and i remember andy goldsworthy put some giant snowballs in Spittalfield market (london) in mid july once.
However your melting egg at St Antoin was absolutely titanic mate.

Tim Grosvenor said...

Thanks for this. I am hoping to put several of these Ice Eggs in different locations around the world linked by web cameras to see how long they take to melt. The piece is first and foremost a piece of art but this is also the case with real icebergs. I hope my grandchildren will not just be able to see icebergs on ancient films.